Thursday, November 29, 2012

Artist: Kyle Williams





The last post put me on the subject of abstracted landscapes, so then I thought of Kyle Williams (who was one of my art teachers in highschool, and I interned under him at CSMA the summer before last). One of the things I like about this series of oil paintings is the titling (White Arc with Tower, Coast, Falls with Colossal Arc, and Bay with Weather, from the top). I think making titles this way gives just enough information where you can look at the painting again and have it transform--suddenly the negative space in Coast is land meeting the white water, and you see the water tipping over the edge in Falls with Colossal Arc.

Below are two pairs of newer works.




And weirdly there is another connection to the previous post--that he recently did a residency in Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment