Thursday, October 11, 2012

Artist: James Nares





James Nares creates large scale oil paintings with these wide brushes (you can see himself working below, suspended above the canvas). What first drew me to his work was the organic forms, the sense of motion, and how the depth of the form contrasts with the negative space backgrounds. When I found out about his process, his work ended up resonating even more with me.

Some of the ideas I've been pursuing in my own work (sort of starting with my small-scale pen drawings last year) have to do with how repetition of process doesn't just replicate. When you put the same materials/constraints (for Nares, oil paint, a brush, canvas, suspension, and a certain type of form he is trying to achieve) through the same processor (the artist) over and over, you end up with a series of work that is all different.

It's very calligraphic, and in the same way as calligraphy, it has to happen all in motion--you can't go back in with smaller brushes to touch up, otherwise it just ends up looking stilted and wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment