Thursday, October 18, 2012

Artist: Jessica Drenk






Jessica Drenk creates sculptural and installation work out of a variety of materials, but I really love these two pieces, made from cut up books and wax. The material and the form match up perfectly on the topic of information/knowledge--the first coming from a cataloguing specimens/artifacts angle, the second, from a brain-mapping angle.

I've been branching into some installation pieces, and have a growing appreciation for the tactile quality of a work. Also, I've always loved large-scale pieces (even just canvas paintings) because of their overwhelming presence in a space.

...aand of course I like organic/amorphous forms--what else is new? I see a lot of similarities between the second piece and Charles Clary's work (which I talked about in an earlier post).

No comments:

Post a Comment